Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Territory

I wrote a National/Territorial Anthem for FatLand in FatLand II:  The Early Days. I wanted to bring  FatLanders together as they sang it. I also wanted to give them national/territorial holidays and ceremonies. All of these are detailed at the end of FatLand II.

However, I feel a bit bad that FatLand rests on what was once sacred ground for certain Native American tribes. In FatLand III, I will have one of the Board Members ask the leaders of these tribes what can be done to redress the wrong done, not only when FatLand became a territory on this land, but when Native Americans were thrown off it in the late 1800's.

It is kind of a big deal that FatLand became a territory, and not a state. The main reason given for FatLand's wishing to retain territorial status was that since the Pro-Health Laws mandated strict monitoring and stricter diets for fat people, FatLand did not wish to have to obey such anti-fat laws, which is, in essence, what they were. This is discussed further in FatLand II: The Early Days.

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is one of my favorite westerns. I feature a somewhat similar scene in FatLand II to that of the Statehood Convention in TMWSLV, but I turn it around. Territory supporters win.

Movies and songs flicker through much that many of us boomers write, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. "The man who shot Liberty Valence" is based on a short story by Dorothy Johnson who published some wonderful Old West types of stories. I like the movie a lot, too.

    I'm really looking forward to reading Fatland II. Hope it will be soon. I loved Fatland I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan! It will be on or before Oct. 1!

      Delete
  2. I neglected to thank you for the source of the movie...thanks, Susan!

    ReplyDelete